The impact of caring on young people
Lots of young people say they get many rewards and satisfaction from caring, and grow through a sense of responsibility. However, young people should not be expected to take on too much caring, if any at all, and need support to ensure problems don't develop.
- Many young carers feel alone or isolated and unable to talk to anyone about their situation
- Experience bullying from their peers for being ‘different’
- Education – may miss school/college regularly
- Lack of social time – feel guilty about leaving the person whom they are caring for
- Their education and career prospects could be put at risk if they are taking on too much
- Their health can be put at risk, especially when they are under stress.